Wednesday 26 June 2013

Raising a responsible Child

Duty to  Family

Children need to learn that for the household to run smoothly, every member of the family is obligated to pitch in. That's why I assigned to my two older kids their first official chores  -- helping with laundry (sorting lights from darks) and washing their socks after school .  "Sometimes Tobe steps in to help Ashionye finish her jobs, especially when he wants to go out and play with her,"
 Despite how important this is, some parents still feel uncomfortable making toddlers help out around the house, concerned that they'll be robbing their kids of time to just be kids ("they're only small once; they'll have their whole lives to work") or hesitant about slowing down enough to include small children in the rush of housekeeping or some simply feel its the maids job. But children should have the chance to feel important to the family.Needing to be needed isn't just an adult thing  -- it's human nature."
Kids love it when you ask them to help you lift something that's a little heavy or to fold a tablecloth. Two-year-olds can take on independent tasks with supervision, such as placing a napkin at everyone's plate on the dinning table. Three-year-olds can bring dirty dishes to the kitchen, feed the fish in the aquarium, and wipe up spills. Four-year-olds can water houseplants, empty wastebaskets, sort laundry by colors, and help put away groceries. (Just remember: They may not stay focused longer than 10 to 15 minutes, and each new task requires patient, step-by-step instructions.)
By age 5, children can make significant contributions to running the household. They can sweep with a small broom, fold and put away clothes, or work outside in the yard or the garden. But parents should not expect more than about 20 minutes of sustained attention from kids this age; note that reminders about specific chores may be needed from day to day. Visual cues like checklists and star charts are good ways to keep them on track

Nigerian parents tend to wait until their children are 8 or 9, before making them pitch in.
 "But the foundations of responsibility should be laid much sooner."

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Children should be taught from a very young age to contribute their quota to house chores no matter how little it seems (or even if they don't do it well). They love doing it. It builds their sense of responsibility and individuality. My daughter is at the age where she wants to help out with everything (even to bring my phone when it rings or hold something for me is a thrill for her). Little things like dropping dirty clothes in the laundry basket instead of just leaving it on the floor or thrashing wastes in the waste bin instead of throwing things on the floor goes a long way. Just don't forget the praise, it makes them beam and grin from ear to ear! Nice site, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Please continue to visit our page

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, Mothers should involve her kids in house chores as little as possible, this would help them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a wife of a man raised in an all male family and unfortunately with no chore skills, I decided to raise my son better. I ensure that at 27months he puts away his toys responsibly after playing, he feeds himself, undresses for his shower and dress up after shower with my direction, helps bring his sister's diaper and wipes for changing time, puts his plate in the sink after feeding etc. Sometimes, I ask my self if I am a terrible mother for raising him this way, but then I do not think a little responsibility kills anyone. Looking back at my upbringing, I think there is a sense of pride when children accomplish tasks.
    I only want to point out something, always share the tasks in a way that eschews favouritism, some of us have our goldene eye child. I am unlucky in that department, I just have the best boy in the world and the best girl in the world (wonder what will happen when I become like my friend a supermum^3, not happening today).

    ReplyDelete